Queens’ College was founded in 1448 by Margaret Anjou and refounded by queen Elizabeth Woodville in 1465. This dual foundation resulted a slight change in the spelling: “Queen’s” changed originally to “Queens’ ” in 1823.
By 1460 the library, chapel, gatehouse and President’s Lodge were completed and the chapel was licensed for service. In 1477 and 1484 Richard III and his wife, Anne Neville made large endowments to the college. Anne Neville became the third queen to be patroness of Queens’ College, making endowments, which were all taken away later by Henry VII.In the early 1600s many improvements were made and some new buildings were constructed, for example the Walnut Tree Building in 1618. In 1777, a fire in the Walnut Tree Building destroyed the upper floors completely , which were rebuilt between 1778 and 1782. In the winter of 1795 the college was badly flooded, reportedly waist-deep in the cloisters.
The doors of Queens’ College have been entirely closed for women until 1980,when they allowed them to matriculate as members for the fist time. The the first female members of the college were graduating in 1983.
Today, the buildings of Queens’ College include two libraries, the chapel, the hall, a bar, and common rooms for graduates and undergraduates. Some beautiful extended gardens, a sportsground and a boat house also can be found at Queens. They own their own punts which can be borrowed by students and staff members of the college.Queens’ College Rugby Football Club (QCRFC), plays Rugby Union against other Cambridge colleges in league and knock-out competitions.
Desiderius Erasmus – Scholar
Mike Gibson – Irish International Rugby Star
John Spencer – former England Rugby Captain
Sir Thomas Smith – Scholar & Diplomat
Charles Villiers Stanford – Composer
Stephen Fry – Comedian, Actor, Author